NORC at University of Chicago is seeking insightful and astute professionals who are also forward-thinking, confident, and diverse. We are currently seeking a Research Assistant to join our Data Warehousing & Analytics team supporting the NORC Data Enclave® in our Bethesda office with other locations considered. You will work closely with world-class Senior Fellows, Researchers, Data Scientists and Architects, and SMEs who are all on the same team dedicated to delivering best in breed solutions. You will also be part of a team that supports social scientists conduct their research in a virtual research data center.
Launched in 2006 by NORC at the University of Chicago, the NORC Data Enclave® provides a confidential, protected environment within which authorized researchers can access sensitive micro-data remotely. While public-use data can be disseminated in a variety of ways, fewer options exist for sharing sensitive micro-data that have not been fully de-identified for public use. The Data Enclave provides our partner organizations with a secure platform where they can both host and build a research community around their data. The Data Enclave currently serves more than 1000 researchers and hosts confidential data for federal and state agencies, non-profit research organizations foundations, and commercial entities.
The Research Assistant will work closely with the Program Director to develop, hone, and improve program operations, e.g., providing management support across a diverse portfolio of projects and providing technical support to users in responding to user requests, providing resolution to issues, maintaining a log through data entry and prioritizing questions/tickets into a call tracking system.
|DEPARTMENT: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
NORC's Information Technology program provides technology services to our staff and clients. Given the critical role technology plays in our day-to-day lives, we are committed to providing professional, high-quality solutions in order to further our collective goal of advancing social science research.
- Develop and implement work plans to help maintain business continuity across a wide array of projects
- Evaluate and prioritize open Help Desk tickets
- Research, document, and provide accurate and timely solutions to user problems
- Effectively escalate and document all support calls for which resolution at level 2 is not possible
- Maintain the call tracking system through the input of resolutions to issues and/or tracking issues that are escalated to a higher level
- Acquire and maintain a highly competent knowledge of relevant products, current support policies, and methods of support delivery
- Develop and implement Service Level Agreements and work to achieve established performance metrics
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Superior troubleshooting, customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Sound knowledge of Help Desk software, and the general Help Desk processes
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision
- Ability to resolve problems by telephone and remote network management techniques
- Candidate will preferably have experience with MS Windows, MS Office, Active Directory, SAS/Stata/SPSS/R, SQL and/or other statistical applications
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.