NORC is seeking a principal research scientist with expertise in higher education for the Education and Child Development (ECD) department. As a member of the department's leadership, this person will work with colleagues in Bethesda and Chicago to conduct and expand our portfolio of work in higher education research. Bring your expertise in a higher education content area (e.g., graduate education or college access and success) and methodological knowledge to this leadership role along with your passion for mentorship and collaboration.
Play a strategic role to further develop a world-class educational research function at one of the nation's most respected research institutions, significantly impacting NORC's success and service to our clients.
|DEPARTMENT: EDUCATION AND CHILD DEVELOPMENT
For more than 40 years, NORC has been committed to conducting high-quality education research. Our Education and Child Development department focuses its research across the full array of education-relevant populations, from preschoolers to the post-graduate doctorate holders. The scope of our research methodologies is just as wide-ranging, incorporating primary data collection, analysis and reporting of existing data, transcript abstraction, classroom observations, qualitative analysis, and experimental and quasi-experimental designs.
- Lead business development efforts to expand work in higher education by identifying growth opportunities and leading pursuit
- Lead major research and data analytics projects to provide clients with highly useful information that is completed on time and on budget
- Grow the ECD research team both through the development of current staff and the strategic recruitment of new professionals with capabilities that complement existing expertise within the department
- Support a cohesive, team-oriented culture across a geographically dispersed staff and promote communication and integration among all members to foster collegiality and ongoing collaboration
- Create, foster, and maintain strong client relationships by making connections, identifying business challenges/needs, and proactively offering constructive solutions
- Develop and maintain key partnerships with key higher education leaders in associations, universities, foundations, and other organizations that will support and advance the success of ECD
- PhD in education, child development, social sciences, or another relevant discipline is strongly preferred, Master's degree is required
- At least 12 years of directly applicable work experience in a significant leadership role such as overseeing a line of business or research group in a nonprofit organization, research organization, or government agency
- Recognition as an expert in a content area in higher education, as evidenced by supporting publications and presentations
- Expertise in successfully managing large scale, complex research projects, or other similar accomplishments
- Experience in reporting on research to a wide range of both internal and external stakeholders using a variety of platforms
- Strong connections across the education industry network with willingness and excitement to facilitate introductions
- Successful record of securing high-caliber, compelling higher education projects
- A track record for building, developing, managing, and retaining a team of highly capable research professionals
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we're known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.