NORC at the University of Chicago is seeking a Research Assistant to join the Academic Research Department in our Hyde Park office.
NORC at the University of Chicago is a nationally recognized research organization that conducts data collection and social policy studies on health care, education, economics, and related topics. NORC maintains the highest standard of professional excellence and scientific rigor, and is committed to broad dissemination of its findings for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as private foundations. We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package.
|DEPARTMENT: ACADEMIC RESEARCH CENTERS
The Academic Research Centers (ARC) is a community of researchers and programs covering a variety of substantive domains and exemplifying NORC’s commitment to the highest standards of academic excellence and research innovation. The ARC brings substantive expertise and collaborative infrastructure to theoretically driven and multimodal research. The ARC collaborates with multi-disciplinary research from the University of Chicago and other research institutions by collecting, analyzing, and disseminating data; providing methodological and statistical expertise; and facilitating pre- and post-award management. ARC’s research staff works jointly with social scientists, physicians, and other experts in an open, cooperative working environment.
• Support senior staff in the development and implementation of evaluation projects and data collection and analysis activities.
• Prepare literature reviews, and written descriptions of data collection methodologies and procedures
• Assist in design of questionnaires and other quantitative or qualitative data collection instruments
• Provide support to study teams in the planning and conducting project activities including site visits, telephone interviews, and technical panel meetings
• As appropriate, provide support and/or conduct analyses on quantitative and/or qualitative data including administrative and survey data
• Assist in creating presentations for client meetings and conferences
• Assist in the development of client reporting deliverables, including monthly or annual progress reports, memos, slides, data charts, and tables for presenting study findings
• Assist with business development activities, supporting all aspects of proposal efforts including drafting subsections of proposals, compiling data, and drafting charts or exhibits
• Coordinate project activities and events, including setting up meetings and conference calls and liaising with consultants and local data collection firms
• Experience with knowledge in the principles, processes, and methods of social science research a plus
• Experience conducting literature reviews; using and/or designing qualitative data collection tools including key informant interviews, site visits and/or focus groups are a plus.
• Experience working with large datasets, conducting data quality review and data analysis. Additional advanced quantitative research skills a plus
• Experience with statistical packages, such as STATA, SAS, or R
• Proficiency with MS Office software, including Excel
• Strong writing skills, including experience with report writing
• Outstanding interpersonal and critical reasoning skills
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.