As NORC’s first Solution Architect, take ownership of the technology solutions used by our 2,000 employees who conduct survey research, analyze data, and help our clients uncover the insights they need to make informed decisions. Bring your industry expertise to this new role as you develop recommendations for top technological solutions that will support both our staff and our clients to work more efficiently. Establish the implementation processes to deliver solutions in line with NORC standards. Gain visibility organization-wide by facilitating discussions with internal stakeholders to ensure technological elements address NORC’s business needs.
|DEPARTMENT: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
NORC's Information Technology program provides technology services to our staff and clients. Given the critical role technology plays in our day-to-day lives, we are committed to providing professional, high-quality solutions in order to further our collective goal of advancing social science research.
- Partner with internal research groups and IT personnel to understand needs and recommend appropriate technology solutions
- Research, identify, select, recommend, and test technology required for solution delivery
- Define a variety of system solutions based on user/client needs, cost, and required integration with existing applications, systems, and platforms
- Identify the flexibility, speed of implementation, quality, scalability, supportability, and cost of ownership of proposed solutions
- Create solution reference architectures and documentation to communicate and support solution decision-making processes
- Develop architectural specifications to document architecture decisions; communicate the architectural specifications to designers, developers, contractors, and business sponsors in an actionable and unambiguous manner
- Provide technical leadership throughout the project life-cycle, review and approve technical designs, and present technical solutions at client meetings
- Collaborate with Enterprise Architect to review solution design, implementation or introduction of new technology to ensure compliance with NORC standards; recommend necessary changes to existing solutions and assist in preparing long term strategic plans to guide implementation
- Establish, implement, and document technology integration or migration strategies and stay informed of industry trends and new technologies
- Act in a consultative capacity during the proposal process, providing high-level solution design and effort estimates
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- At least 10 years of experience in progressively senior technical roles. Previous consulting experience a plus.
- Strong technical knowledge in a variety of areas such as survey platforms, data analytics tools, web technologies, cloud technologies, open source, and emerging technologies
- Working understanding of Agile/SCRUM development model and statistical tools
- Exceptional problem solving skills with the ability to effectively communicate technical solutions and recommendations to technical and non-technical audience
- Able to work collaboratively across multiple departments and with various stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to reach audiences with varying degrees of technological knowledge
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.