Come to work every day energized and ready to add value through hard/smart work, critical thinking, and quality work products. Take responsibility for financial planning, analysis, and cost monitoring to ensure NORC’s compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and federal government accounting standards. Leverage your strong accounting and compliance background to drive process and policy improvements. Support BVI’s leadership team in a rapidly evolving research landscape to budget proposals, manage project budgets, develop tools/templates to drive efficiency and quality, understand and adhere to all compliance regulations, and develop strong working relationships with our corporate finance, accounting, and contracting teams. Join our cohesive and motivated team that likes to have fun and do great work, all while developing the skills that will launch your career path in the right direction.
The Business Ventures and Innovation unit (BVI) brings together NORC Labs, Business Development, BVI Services, and AmeriSpeak to launch new ventures and drive revenue growth. BVI is a startup within a well-established research organization, propelling innovation across the company and positioning NORC to grow and evolve strategically in the future. BVI leads NORC in its diversification strategy, working mostly outside of federal government contracts. BVI can be best described as a fast-paced, professional services/consulting environment.
- Provide financial leadership for all BVI budgets, revenue and indirect spending forecasts, and departmental and corporate reporting activities
- Deliver analysis of weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial results including the interpretation of monthly performance information as a predictive tool for attainment of full year performance expectations
- Develop and implement financial monitoring tools to proactively provide senior managers and project directors with concise information regarding at the moment performance and early warning of projected cost variances
- Establish BVI financial processes and procedures for creating and monitoring budgets, developing forecasts, and all departmental and corporate reporting
- Manage the financial aspects of capital and strategic investments, understanding the associated rules and regulations
- Review project and vendor invoices, expense reports, cost reports, purchase requisitions, and other project-related expenses to ensure compliance with all accounting standards and regulations
- Manage project billing, monitor project receivables, and address client budget and billing inquires, as needed. Prepare monthly cost reports for submission to clients
- Implement closeout procedures at project completion
- Contribute to proposal development by creating budgets as specified by the client and/or project directors with a sound understanding of NORC budgeting principles and all compliance standards
- Supervise and train budget analysts and financial analysts, as necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, or finance-related area is required; MBA preferred
- At least five (5) years of experience handling a wide range of financial responsibilities as a senior financial analyst, financial analyst, or a similar role with cost accounting experience, preferably in a professional services/consulting or contract research company
- Deep understanding of GAAP and federal government accounting regulations, with experience understanding contracting terms as they relate to financial matters
- Hands on financial planning and analysis experience, demonstrating strong analytic and problem solving skills
- Ability to synthesize complex financial data and present analyses/results using sophisticated P&L reports and charts/graphs
- Proven experience with all project financial monitoring tasks including budgeting, revenue projections, and cost monitoring in accordance with GAAP and government accounting regulations
- Experience developing and implementing processes and procedures to ensure staff adhere to all departmental and corporate standards, rules, and regulations
- Ability to analyze budget information to provide early warning of projected cost variances from budget
- Excellent planning/organizational skills and attention to detail, sound judgment, dedicated to meeting tight deadlines and producing high quality work while managing competing priorities, sometimes working under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work with staff across departments and levels; ability to communicate and explain financial results to non-finance staff
- High degree of proficiency with Excel including creating vlookups and pivot tables and prior experience with macros, Cost Point and FocusPoint is a plus
- Experience supervising junior staff or willingness to learn
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.