This position is responsible for managing the day to day accounting activities of all Service Contract Act projects. The Senior Accountant will also be responsible for reconciling, analyzing and reviewing general ledger accounts monthly; preparing financial spreadsheet/schedules for various general ledger accounts, managing Accountant’s activities, calculating and preparing invoices as needed.
The Finance and Accounting departments contribute to NORC’s financial success by supporting the research departments with skill and integrity. The Accounting department navigates complex government regulatory and accounting environments while ensuring that the day-to-day operations of NORC’s financial matters are conducted in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage the day to day accounting activities of Service Contract Act projects
- Maintain, review and audit labor locations and wage determinations
- Act as point of contact for human resources, financial analysts, project directors and information technology staff regarding SCA issues
- Maintain and update the SCA procedure document
- Review, audit and prepare the monthly SCA holiday pay entries
- Review, audit and prepare the quarterly SCA vacation bonus entries
- Audit SCA timesheets submitted for reasonableness
- Oversee and audit the annual review and updates of SCA rates and H&W rates
- Respond to staff questions regarding SCA payment rates/calculations
- Review H&W quarterly retirement contribution submission by human resources
- Prepare general ledger journal entries and reconciliations
- Assist with preparation and posting of invoices
- Assist with weekly/monthly processes within CostPoint general/project ledger
- Work with auditors during annual audit
- Work on special requests/projects as necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
- At least 5 years of professional general accounting work
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation strongly preferred
- Experience with one or more of the following: Deltek (CostPoint, SSRS), Concur a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using an automated accounting system: proficiency in Outlook, Excel, and Word is required
- Understanding of general accounting principles and processes, familiarity with Internal Controls (and Sarbanes Oxley as applicable) and established accounting practices and procedures
- Account reconciliation, strong problem solving, time management, computer, accurate keying, detail orientation skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, ability to automate work processes, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines, ability to create spreadsheets, ability to work accurately under deadline pressure, ability to work with minimal supervision using established guidelines and procedures
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.