The Information Technology Department at NORC is seeking a motivated Database Analyst to architect, develop, implement, and support database applications at our Chicago Loop location. We are looking for a special developer with natural product intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. As a Database Analyst you are also expected to deliver system architect needs. You will be responsible for the performance, development and architecture of multiple database systems. You will play a pivotal role in the ongoing evolution of the teams' success and direction, working with your peers across the organization in projects that are meeting business needs. You should be equally comfortable presenting and interacting with the business owners of a project, while speaking to them in terms that are understandable to non-technical stakeholders. Do you get excited about working with new technologies and adapting new platforms such as Cloud Computing, Mobile Device Development and developing innovative and groundbreaking survey technologies? We want to hear from you. Qualified candidates will thrive on learning new technologies and thinking through innovative approaches to solving the complex problems we face every day across sophisticated platforms.
NORC's Information Technology program provides technology services to our staff and clients. Given the critical role technology plays in our day-to-day lives, we are committed to providing professional, high-quality solutions in order to further our collective goal of advancing social science research.
- Provide data architectural design and direction to the Database development team
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with both business and technical team members
- Design, develop, and test DB code such as stored procedures, and DML/DDL scripts for both in house database systems and quickly grasp the code used in purchased survey data products.
- Design, develop, and test ETL solutions for sample management
- Ability to implement an agile development process to deliver work in sprint layers to keep other team members moving and on pace
- Simplify complex processes thru the use of workflow diagrams
- Adhere to and improve upon development standards, procedures, and code management best practices
- Develops and implements standards and processes around database stability (high availability, resilience, performance, capacity, security, and monitoring) and architecture.
- Establishes and enhances relationships with peers and stakeholders in IT and Research teams.
- Partners with peers in front end development team, operations and data security to produce long-term roadmap strategy and implementation plans.
- Monitors and evaluates industry trends in order to leverage ongoing technological developments.
- Excels at producing and curating high quality technical documentation.
- Work under limited supervision and be a self-starter.
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related field OR equivalent software development experience.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience with complex data manipulation using SQL and other data management tools, particularly Microsoft SQL Server, database and data warehouse design and development, reports development and systems support.
- Experience with data editing and cleaning and efficient coding to deal with large quantities of data, building repeatable processes, and developing applications that integrate across multiple data stores is required.
- Strong knowledge of relational database systems, design and programming. Documentation of programs and procedures, efficient coding to deal with large quantities of data, building repeatable processes, and developing applications that integrate across multiple systems.
- Expert in database and data warehouse design and development, reports development and systems support.
- Experience in formal unit and system testing processes, and source code control.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with others, both technical and non-technical.
- Ability to react quickly to issues, and develop both short and long term solutions.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask, prioritize, and pay close attention to details.
- Detail oriented, organized, and able to juggle multiple tasks/projects with a minimum of supervision.
- Experience in software development life cycles, e.g. Agile, Lean/Kanban, or Waterfall.
- Proficient with SQL Server 2012 and 2017, ETL (SSIS), PowerShell, JIRA, Visio and MS Excel
- Current or recent hands-on experience with developing, testing, and improving SQL code, e.g. stored procedures, functions, views, and ad-hoc queries.
- Proficiency in, or a strong desire to learn about, automation processes or tools, e.g. Jenkins, ServiceNow or similar tools to script/automate manual steps.
- Desire to work in a team environment and share ideas with the team.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Survey industry experience; Social Science, or Market Research.
- Understanding of large scale data collection, knowing buzzwords (CAWI,CATI, CAPI)
- Some experience with front-end programming languages and tech, e.g. Java, Python, C#, JSON, XML
- Exposure to SalesForce
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.