NORC is looking for an Assistant Production Manager to join their Telephone Survey and Support Operations (TSSO) team in Wichita Kansas.
NORC at the University of Chicago is an independent research institute focused on social science research. Founded in 1941, NORC has three call centers located in Chicago, Albuquerque and Wichita that conduct surveys for use in research studies for clients that include governments, corporations and nonprofits.
NORC’s research studies are generally conducted in five main areas: economics, markets and the workforce; education, training and learning; global development; health and well-being; and society, media and public affairs. NORC’s most cited research is the General Social Survey, which has monitored change and the growing complexity of American society since 1972. Other major studies include the High School and Beyond Study, National Immunization Survey and Survey of Consumer Finances.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a survey research / call center professional with a successful track record. NORC and its TSSO organization have a rich history of providing leadership in the development of survey research methods. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team. At NORC, TSSO is responsible for surveys involving multimode approaches to data collection that include—but are not limited to—phone, web, and mail efforts, as well as data processing. NORC’s three call centers employ more than 900 professional and intermittent staff.
TSSO is primarily responsible for screening and interviewing respondents over the telephone, but we also prompt respondents by telephone, locate respondents, code and enter data from survey responses, manage hard copy documents, and mail survey materials.
TSSO staff are vital to our nationwide survey research operation. Interviewers talk to people from every conceivable walk of life to obtain information on issues such as health care, employment, and education. The work we do at NORC has lasting social significance, and the data we gather helps legislators and others involved in setting policy make informed decisions for the welfare of all Americans in an increasingly complex society.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of Telephone supervisors and indirectly, Team Leads, interviewers, and clerks, within the various functional areas of the facility.
- Supervise more complex components of a specific study or studies, including maintaining and improving quality standards and service levels.
- Identify problems and propose solutions.
- Perform routine project and production tasks.
- Ensure compliance with project and organizational policies and procedures.
- Serve as a role model for Supervisors, and act as a model of professionalism for all staff.
- Manage the delivery of training programs through training and coaching Training Team members, ensuring that training requirements are met, and deliver training as needed.
- Manage the production floor when on duty, including overseeing all Floor Operations activity, working with the Production Assurance Team to resolve production outages, deal with interviewer infractions, deal with facility issues, managing sample, and opening and/or closing the production center.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences, Survey Methodology, Business Management or related field preferred
- At least 1 year experience in positions of increasing supervisory responsibility; work experience in telephone data collection or customer service preferred.
- This position requires flexibility in work schedule and includes some evening and weekend hours.
Ideal candidates should also have:
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to create a teamwork environment by working cooperatively with peers, subordinates, managers, and staff in other departments
- Ability to motivate, coach, counsel and evaluate others
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn principles and processes of survey research, especially data collection practices
- Computer proficiency (including Windows, and Microsoft Office Products)
- Ability to create and manage budgets of medium complexity
- Solid troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Strong customer-service orientation
As one of the world’s foremost independent research institutions, NORC at the University of Chicago delivers objective data and meaningful analysis to help decision-makers and leading organizations make informed choices and identify new opportunities. Since 1941, NORC has applied sophisticated methods and tools, innovative and cost-effective solutions, and the highest standards of scientific integrity and quality to conduct and advance research on critical issues. Today, NORC expands on this tradition by partnering with government, commercial, and nonprofit clients to create deep insight across a broad range of topics and to disseminate useful knowledge throughout society.
|A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE:
As one of the oldest not-for-profit, academic research organizations in the United States, and through its affiliation with the University of Chicago, NORC maintains the highest standard of professional excellence and scientific rigor, and is committed to broad dissemination of its findings.
|A PASSION FOR INNOVATION:
NORC’s subject matter experts and survey professionals develop and employ innovative study designs, research methods, and technical applications to derive meaningful and accurate results.
| A COMMITMENT TO COLLEGIALITY:
NORC cultivates an interdisciplinary culture of achievement in which senior investigators from diverse fields and professional backgrounds collaborate with the next generation of researchers in an open, collegial environment.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.