NORC at the University of Chicago, the nation’s leading objective, non-partisan research institution, is growing. To continue this momentum and secure the gains we’ve already made, NORC needs to gather, analyze, and act on sophisticated intelligence about our core business with state and federal government as well new markets and clients. To help us meet that need, NORC’s Office of Business Development is looking for an ambitious and self-motivated professional with a background in research and analysis and a strong interest in business operations and business development.
|DEPARTMENT: OFFICE OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
The Office of Business Development (OBD), provides operational support and strategic guidance to NORC’s business developers. The OBD is situated in the Business Ventures and Innovation unit (BVI), which brings together NORC Labs, Business Development, BVI Services, and AmeriSpeak to launch new ventures and drive revenue growth in NORC’s government and industry markets. BVI can be best described as a fast-paced, professional services/consulting environment.
- Identify and research new business opportunities, including daily inspection of federal and state procurement notices and others
- Identify and monitor broader market trends that may pose threats to or offer opportunities for NORC’s business development efforts
- Extract and interpret data on federal purchasing from the federal procurement data system
- Support business developers and proposal managers by identifying relevant experience within NORC’s body of work, responding to requests for information, and occasionally drafting sub-sections of proposals
- Help to maintain internal databases, data systems and standard operating procedures
- Develop and implement processes to increase efficiency and transparency of business development data and minimize manual, custom tasks conducted by OBD
- Conduct data cleaning and preparation of business development operations data files. The business development analyst will also perform analyses to understand trends in business development operations
- Contribute to the presentation and reporting of data by developing charts, graphs, topline reports, banners, key performance indicators, and tables
- Assist in the production of weekly and monthly performance metrics, including evaluating metrics, developing standardized reports, and ensuring the ongoing accuracy of such reports
- Work with NORC’s statisticians, methodologists, programmers, and other department teams in using data analytics techniques to improve business development processes and procedures, and identify areas that need standardized processes
- Calculate monthly sales figures (“new orders”)
- Work with research department leadership to create standardize reporting terminology and reports and harmonization of business development tracking throughout the organization
- An organized individual who can create and manage processes that will support a well-run department
- An analytical thinker possessing the ability to understand, interpret, and process complex qualitative and quantitative information
- An individual who has the ability and interest in working in a team-oriented environment
- An energetic and performance-driven individual who will pursue excellence in all tasks
- A person who has a sense of humor, is a supportive colleague, and enjoys a fun and open work environment
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 3 years of experience in data analysis or related fields
- Working knowledge of statistics, mathematics, machine learning, scientific methods of inquiry, and/or survey research
- Experience with quantitative methods and how to gather and analyze data from different information sources
- Proficiency with at least one data management tool such as SAS, STATA, R, or SPSS
- Experience with business collaboration tools such as Salesforce and SharePoint
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Well-developed communication, problem solving, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work effectively with multiple departments and stakeholders
- Some knowledge of popular Deltek offerings, visualization tools such as Tableau and SAP Business Objects, analytics tools such as Adobe Analytics, Microstrategy, and Google Analytics is preferred but not necessary
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.