NORC at the University of Chicago is hiring an experienced survey Statistician to join the Statistics and Data Science department to help support AmeriSpeak.
Due to current COVID-19 safety measures, employees who can work from home, are required to do so. Once it is safe to resume standard practices of commuter travel and social interaction per government guidelines, we expect employees to maintain an office presence as required by projects needs and department leadership.
The Statistics and Data Science department conducts statistical design and analysis to support all aspects of social science research. NORC statisticians and data scientists design and implement rigorous, efficient methods for sampling from populations and weighting resultant survey data. They also employ advanced techniques for analyzing and interpreting data. The department collaborates with the Methodology and Quantitative Social Sciences department, all NORC research departments, and the Academic Research Centers in addition to conducting research in its own field.
- Writing and implementing computer programs to import and manipulate data, making statistical calculations necessary for selecting online panel samples, and performing other statistical analyses
- Providing specifications to the operations lead for selecting samples of AmeriSpeak panelists from which statistical weights, estimates and standard errors are calculated
- Performing quality control procedures to ensure the accuracy of deliverables, and contributing to and/or reviewing the sampling and analytic sections of reports, final technical reports, and other documentary deliverables
- Working with the client on sampling and other statistical issues, and providing technical information on the types of analyses, limitations of the data, and strengths/weaknesses of various strategies
- Calculating weights, non-response rates, and standard error estimates as part of sample selection and implementation
- Carrying out substantive analysis on projects with analytical deliverables, including developing and implementing predictive models
- Analyzing, and interpreting data to provide insights into important business issues
- Masters' degree in statistics or other quantitative program, or a Bachelors' degree with equivalent experience in statistics, survey research, or related quantitative field
- 5+ years’ work experience
- The ideal candidate will have expert knowledge of online panels, sampling, weighting, estimation, imputation, mathematical statistics, and survey methodology. Able to apply knowledge to quickly troubleshoot issues.
- Knowledge of the methods, principles, and processes of survey research and broad experience in the field.
- Strong skills in quantitative analysis. Statistical modelling experience including logistic regression with random effects, machine learning, and small area estimation.
- General familiarity with social science research and policy issues.
Expert skills in the use of computer software, especially packages for statistical analysis. SAS expertise preferred. Capable of automating weighting processes and variance estimation.
Strong verbal and written communication skills. Able to quickly understand and communicate issues.
Strong interpersonal skills, and demonstrated skills in time management.
Excellent Quality Control skills.
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.