NORC at the University of Chicago is seeks a qualified Research Analyst to join its Public Affairs and Media Research Department in our Chicago, IL or Bethesda, MD office.
Due to current COVID-19 safety measures, employees who can work from home, are required to do so. Once it is safe to resume standard practices of commuter travel and social interaction per government guidelines, we expect employees to maintain an office presence as required by projects needs and department leadership.
|DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND MEDIA RESEARCH
The Public Affairs and Media Research Department conducts high-quality research for our clients in order to deliver reliable insights that fuel effective business and communication strategies. We provide the nuanced understanding of people’s opinions, beliefs, and behaviors that organizations need to understand and serve their audiences in a world of vast and accelerating change. Our clients comprise some of the nation’s most influential and forward-looking media companies, PR and consulting firms, philanthropies, and policymaking organizations.
The Public Affairs and Media Research Department team has expertise with a wide array of important issues and a broad range of populations, including hard-to-reach groups such as young people and Latinos. The department is also home to The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. The AP-NORC Center was created to join the expertise of NORC, one of the world’s premier independent research organizations, with The AP, which provides news seen every day over all media platforms and formats by more than half of the world’s population. This combination of rigorous, objective research and reliable, unbiased journalism has unmatched potential to reach both broad audiences and policy makers at every governmental level, creating a seamless transition from the gathering of survey-based information to a more fully-informed society.
Through The AP-NORC Center and our relationships with other leading news and media organizations, we are able to work with our clients to position research findings for the journalists, policymakers, and thought leaders who can amplify their impact.
- Serve as task lead for project components, assisting the Project Manager with keeping projects on time and on budget
- Assist with questionnaire development and testing of survey instruments
- Provide technical and logistical support for data processing and analysis, including analysis with advanced statistical techniques
- Write sections of reports and provide support for other writers, such as data analysis, or creating tables and graphs
- Support the development of new business through background research, writing sections of proposals, or reviewing materials
- Bachelors' degree in the social sciences or related field (Masters' degree preferred)
- At least 1 year experience with increasing knowledge in the principles, processes, and methods of social science research, methodology and quantitative/qualitative analysis techniques
- Strong background in survey research
- Knowledge of data collection and data flow processes
- Experience in quantitative analysis using SAS and SPSS preferred
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.