NORC is currently seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join the Advanced Data Services team to lead the project delivery and operations of NORC’s Data Enclave®. The ideal candidate for this role will be someone with experience in both IT (database management, and ETL tools) and health care analytics (claims data, cost reporting and experience with analytic tools like episode groupers). The person can be more heavily invested in IT or Health care analytics but this job requires someone who can successfully understand the key work flow requirements to successfully manage the work from acquiring, cleaning and curating data to employing the appropriate tools to conduct analysis of those data for clients. The person will work closely with others to accomplish these tasks including world-class Senior Fellows, Researchers, Architects, and subject matter experts who are all on the same team dedicated to delivering the best solutions and products for our clients. You will be part of a team that builds, implements, and supports critical user interface and graphic design, along with full web development.
Alternative work locations will be considered. During COVID, NORC staff are working remotely.
|DEPARTMENT: Advanced Data Solution Centers
The Advanced Data Solutions Centers (ADS Center) comprises NORC’s growing array of data management, computational science, and informatics solutions. From short-term consulting projects to large-scale, enterprise-wide, big data initiatives, the ADS Center has the tools and expertise to meet the needs of researchers and decision-makers in a wide variety of sectors and industries.
Reporting to the Vice President, Advanced Data Solutions, you will serve as front line leader on project delivery and operations of the business unit.
In this role, you will:
- Lead project delivery/implementation and provide oversight of operations
- Lead the enablement of capabilities aimed at offering healthcare transparency and informed decision making platforms
- Conceptualize and propose business process improvements for Iterative development methodology, data submission guides and standards, data integration and testing standards.
- Provide client management (regular meetings, status updates, change requests, ensure expectations are met)
- Work with terabytes of healthcare claims and administrative data, and create analytic data products therefrom to support various healthcare research and technical assistance projects.
- Serve as the lead resource on the backend (ETL, high performance databases (Vertica, Teradata), Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) frameworks, and data warehousing.
- Work with commercial claims and healthcare data to code and runs episode of care groupers, evaluate the output and conduct analysis on the resulting Cost Sheets.
- Manage the relationships with health insurance payers and develop data submission guides and the downstream data quality (DQ) business rules that run on payer files.
- Code and manage the data cleaning, curation and migration of data from staging environments to production for analysis.
- Respond to external and internal client requests and manage the workload of junior level staff
- Improve ADS SME with regard to expanding our teams' data science skills, big data analysis and other innovative data solutions
- Support recruitment of informatics experts
- Develop analytic and technology roadmap for APCD initiatives
- Bachelor's degree or educational background in Computer Science or other technical field, or commensurate professional experience
- At least 9 years’ experience in positions of increasing responsibility, working with large datasets and conducting statistical and quantitative modeling, melding analytics with strong programming, data mining, clustering and segmentation. Domain expertise preferred.
- Experience working with commercial claims data, grouper tools, warehousing including Vertica highly valued
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership for a team of analysts, data warehouse developers, infrastructure engineers other data scientists
- Understanding of CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis. Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment.
- Ability to recommend or specify solutions in the security, operational, and deployment domains.
- Design and architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object oriented analysis and design patterns
- Solid analytical skills and basic understanding of statistical and machine learning models.
- Solid background in the fundamentals of software development, and have a deep understanding of best practices in various languages/technologies is required
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.