The Information Technology Department at NORC is seeking an IT Development Manager to lead the Application Development team at our Chicago Loop location. As a supervisor, you will be responsible for staff development, annual performance reviews, technical guidance and mentorship, and conflict resolution. You will supervise the team responsible for the performance, development and architecture of multiple web and application systems. You will play a pivotal role in the ongoing evolution of the teams' success and direction, working with your peers across the organization to ensure current roles, processes, and relationships are meeting business needs. You should be equally comfortable having in-depth technical discussions or presenting and interacting with senior leadership.
Due to current COVID-19 safety measures, employees who can work from home, are required to do so. Once it is safe to resume standard practices of commuter travel and social interaction per government guidelines, we expect employees to maintain an office presence as required by projects needs and department leadership.
NORC's Information Technology department provides technology services to our staff and clients. Given the critical role technology plays in our day-to-day lives, we are committed to delivering professional, high-quality solutions to achieve our collective goal of advancing social science research.
- Provides management and technical leadership to the Application Development team. This includes evaluating team structure, performing staff assignments, and capturing performance improvement metrics.
- Manage the development teams specializing in Java, .Net, Python, SQL Server and Postgres following Agile development methodologies
- Develops and implements standards and processes around application stability (high availability, resilience, performance, capacity, security, and monitoring) and architecture.
- Establishes and enhances relationships with peers and stakeholders in IT and Research teams.
- Identifies and leverages opportunities in team members' technical skills; facilitates formal and hands-on cross training as needed.
- Ensure adherence to quality standards, maintain standard operating procedures, and review project deliverables
- Support innovation and strategy in the area of Automation and DevOps
- Partners with research team, operations and data security to produce long-term roadmap strategy and implementation plans.
- Delivers execution of approved projects by careful resourcing and pacing; accommodates and adapts to unanticipated events and initiatives.
- Monitor the SLAs in tickets ensuring all SLAs are met and create adhoc reports as requested.
- Monitors and evaluates industry trends in order to leverage ongoing technological developments.
- Excels at producing and curating high quality technical documentation.
- Assist in technical reviews and participate in design sessions.
- Collaborate on business proposals and software time estimates.
- Work under limited supervision and be a self-starter.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or relevant field of study
- At least 8 years’ experience in all phases of software engineering, with at least 5 years’ experience in design and coding.
- Track record of successfully managing and mentoring staff.
- Experience in software development life cycles, e.g. Agile, Lean/Kanban, or Waterfall.
- Prior experience and/or some working knowledge of Java, .Net and Python development
- Current or recent hands-on experience with developing, testing, and improving SQL code and Postgres, e.g. stored procedures, functions, views, and ad-hoc queries.
- Proficiency in, or a strong desire to learn about, automation processes or tools, e.g. Jenkins, Docker and Kubernetes or similar tools to script/automate manual steps.
- Knowledge of Cloud technologies and platforms
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with others, including various levels of management.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to execute short-range plans.
- Ability to react quickly to issues, and develop both short and long term solutions.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask, prioritize, and pay close attention to details.
- Strong analytical skills as well as strong communication skills. Desire to work in a team environment. Detail oriented, organized, and able to juggle multiple tasks/projects with a minimum of supervision.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Survey industry experience; Social Science, or Market Research.
- Understanding of large scale data collection.
- Prior experience or working knowledge of content management and data collection systems.
- Competency in Microsoft applications, including O365 suite, SharePoint, MS Teams and Visio
- Knowledge of Data Warehousing, and next generation Data stores (e.g. Cloud or On-premise, or Hybrid systems)
- Experience leading or working in development environments utilizing Visual Studio with Azure DevOps or similar DevOps tools and technologies
- Experience with ServiceNow, JIRA or similar ticketing system
- PMP certification – preferred but not required
- Experience working with Federal Agencies – preferred but not required
- Ability to track status for multiple concurrent projects
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.