Join the Education and Child Development Department at NORC at the University of Chicago as the newest Senior Research Scientist focusing on K-12 education. Based in our Chicago Loop office or our Bethesda office, take this opportunity to contribute to the continued success of the department during a time of strategic growth.
While our main office locations are in Chicago, IL and Bethesda, MD, we will consider qualified candidates who prefer to work remotely.
|DEPARTMENT: EDUCATION AND CHILD DEVELOPMENT
For more than 40 years, NORC has been committed to conducting high quality education research. Our department of Education and Child Development's research covers the full array of education-relevant populations, from pre-school children to post-graduate. The work is wide-ranging as well – including experimental and quasi-experimental designs, program evaluation, and case studies and including content areas such as mathematics and civics education.
- Guide programs, educators, and policymakers in using evidence to make decisions
- Design program evaluations in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team of researchers
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Review, synthesize, and describe existing evidence
- Author white papers, briefs, and reports; submit articles for publication in refereed journals
- Present research findings at professional meetings
- Engage in business development activities including idea generation, grant writing, and responding to requests for proposals (RFPs)
- Serve as task leader on large projects, overseeing staff responsibilities, monitoring budgets, and coordinating schedules
- Occasional travel to client meetings and conferences
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, PhD is strongly preferred
- Deep understanding of mathematics curricula and instruction
- Education technology and interoperability standards encouraged, but not required
- At least 9 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility in research or related field, including at least 3 years of social science project management
- Advanced quantitative skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including an ability to translate complex technical content for a practitioner and policy audience
- Strong problem solving, relationship management skills
- Ability to manage time to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Some experience in client communications and relationship management; solid technical writing skills
- Strong proficiency with statistical analysis packages such as such as SAS, SPSS, STATA, or R
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.