NORC at the University of Chicago seeks a qualified Senior Administrative Assistant to join its Public Affairs and Media Research Department in our Chicago, IL or Bethesda, MD office. This position will provide a broad range of administrative and clerical support to the Senior Vice President as well as the department as a whole.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks and will be able to work independently. This person must be flexible, well organized and pay careful attention to detail. He/she will be an integral part of maintaining and updating the department's social media efforts, such as Twitter and Facebook. He/she should enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting a leadership team in a rapidly evolving research landscape that is often fast-paced. The candidate should demonstrate the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through in a timely manner, sometimes working under pressure. Also critical is the ability to be resourceful and efficient, while exhibiting a high degree of professionalism. He/she will also need to quickly comprehend and act on changing priorities when necessary and proactively address administrative issues and needs.
While our main office locations are in Chicago, IL and Bethesda, MD, we will consider qualified candidates who prefer to work remotely.
|DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND MEDIA RESEARCH
The Public Affairs and Media Research Department conducts high-quality research for our clients in order to deliver reliable insights that fuel effective business and communication strategies. We provide the nuanced understanding of people’s opinions, beliefs, and behaviors that organizations need to understand and serve their audiences in a world of vast and accelerating change. Our clients comprise some of the nation’s most influential and forward-looking media companies, PR and consulting firms, philanthropies, and policymaking organizations.
The Public Affairs and Media Research Department team has expertise with a wide array of important issues and a broad range of populations, including hard-to-reach groups such as young people and Latinos. The department is also home to The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. The AP-NORC Center was created to join the expertise of NORC, one of the world’s premier independent research organizations, with The AP, which provides news seen every day over all media platforms and formats by more than half of the world’s population. This combination of rigorous, objective research and reliable, unbiased journalism has unmatched potential to reach both broad audiences and policy makers at every governmental level, creating a seamless transition from the gathering of survey-based information to a more fully-informed society.
Through The AP-NORC Center and our relationships with other leading news and media organizations, we are able to work with our clients to position research findings for the journalists, policymakers, and thought leaders who can amplify their impact.
- Coordinate complex scheduling, travel arrangements, and expense reporting.
- Plan, coordinate, and prepare for business meetings, events, luncheons, and dinners involving both internal staff and external clients/partners including scheduling, material preparation, and logistics/technology needs (video conferencing, presentations, Web Ex, etc.)
- Develop and design improved administrative procedures to promote the timely processing and submission of all administrative deliverables.
- Prepare and/or integrate information needed to compose both routine and non-routine correspondence, reports, documents, and presentations.
- Build strong relationships throughout the company to support and facilitate the collaborative team environment.
- Review documents to ensure accuracy and quality, and revise as needed.
- Attend meetings with the purpose of taking minutes.
- Greet visiting clients, guests, and employees.
- Independently perform varied administrative duties.
- Provide research task support, including creating charts and tables, as well as some number-checking
- Maintain the department’s social media accounts and update the website with newly released reports
- Implement media tracking for projects and assist with developing the monthly newsletter
- Support business development by reviewing proposals and RFPs, as well as tracking sales leads and prospective projects
- High school diploma or equivalent required with at least 3 years of experience providing administrative support for senior management required in a team environment; Interest or background in research preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, with proven experience prioritizing work and coordinating multiple projects at one time
- Intermediate or better level of proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Experience with WordPress, social media posting, and SalesForce a strong plus
- Polished demeanor and comfort working with staff at all levels in the organization
- Strong skills in creating and maintaining document management systems including using Share Point
- Excellent communication skills, including solid writing and basic proofreading ability
- A strong focus on detail, accuracy, and work quality with the ability to take on full ownership of assigned tasks.
- Ability to work effectively and productively with little direct supervision
- Well-developed problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Discretion in handling sensitive and/or confidential material
- Interest and ability to work on a team in a highly collaborative environment
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.