The Benefits Administrator (Leave of Absence) is responsible for reviewing, coordinating and processing all activities for Family Medical Leave, Elective Leave, Military Leave, state and/or local Leave, ADA accommodations and Workers Compensation. This position provides advanced level HR leave of absence administration to managers and colleagues and acts as a subject matter expert to ensure compliance with state and federal leave of absence laws as well as NORC’s policies. Reports to the Director of Benefits.
|DEPARTMENT: HUMAN RESOURCES
The NORC Human Resources Department supports NORC's mission, values, and guiding principles through collaboration with research, operations, and administrative departments to recruit, develop, and retain top staff. NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.
It is the mission of the NORC Human Resource Department to provide effective human resource management by developing and implementing policies, programs, and services.
- Responsible for identifying leave types, approving or denying requests for leave, calculating and monitoring leave duration, and coordinating return to work.
- Serves as the primary contact for all Leave of Absence requests; conducts intake over the phone, in person or via email, either directly or indirectly through HR staff or appropriate leader.
- Acts independently to evaluate and determine employee eligibility and leave history within required time frames.
- Receives, prepares, and monitors leave of absence paperwork.
- Communicates and provides explanation of approvals, denials, leave extensions, and other important information regarding leaves to appropriate stakeholders. Ensures that appropriate paperwork is sent out and received in a timely manner.
- Communicates with third party administrators regarding disability payments and approval status; provides information regarding earnings to be used for disability payment calculations, updates vendor regarding any known status changes with leave, researches issues and discrepancies; consults with vendor as necessary regarding leave status.
- Coordinates use of paid leave (PTO, mandated paid leave when applicable).
- Ensures a smooth return to work transition for the employee; coordinates return with the manager considering any restrictions that may need to be accommodated.
- Files workers comp claims and follows up with employees.
- Receives accommodation requests and works with the employee and department through the iterative process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two (2) years of progressive experience in leave of absence administration in a high volume work environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resource or related Business field preferred (or equivalent years of experience)
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR law, FMLA, ADAAA, and other federal/state regulations pertaining to administering leaves of absence
- Working knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite and standard office hardware and equipment.
|WHAT WE DO
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.