NORC at the University of Chicago is seeking a Survey Director to join Education and Child Development (ECD) Department in the Chicago, IL or Bethesda, MD office. The ECD team creates and provides reliable, evidence-based information to help address critical issues in education, particularly in areas of higher education and career outcomes, cultural climate issues, K-12 school recruitment, data use in schools and districts, and early childhood education.
To comply with the Executive Order issued by President Biden on September 9, 2021, all NORC employees and contractors – including those working remotely - must be fully vaccinated by Wednesday, December 8, 2021, as a condition of employment. This means that a 2nd injection (if applicable) must be given two weeks prior to the deadline (by November 24, 2021.) If you are an onsite employee starting prior to 12/8, NORC’s onsite mandate supersedes the Federal mandate and you must already be fully vaccinated to work onsite at a NORC facility.
|DEPARTMENT: EDUCATION AND CHILD DEVELOPMENT
For more than 40 years, NORC has been committed to conducting high quality education research. Our department of Education and Child Development's research covers the full array of education-relevant populations, from pre-school children to the post-graduate doctorate holders. The scope of our education research methodologies has been wide-ranging as well – including primary data collection, analysis and reporting of existing data, transcript abstraction, classroom observations, qualitative analysis, and experimental and quasi-experimental designs.
- Serve as task/component manager on large projects
- Lead small projects
- Manage the day-to-day performance of all members of the team
- Supervise staff
- Supervise the design of data collection methodologies and procedures, questionnaires, and data collection forms to implement the study as specified by the client and the project director
- Manage the organization of secondary data (reports from the field, program records transferred from the client, social media data acquisition, etc.) including implementing an organized record keeping system
- Review project deliverables and ensuring quality control, including in some instances auditing and correcting the data files, ensuring management of grantee data, or overseeing data acquisition protocols with fidelity
- Interact with clients to clarify their needs, report on progress, discuss contractual matters, resolve problems, allay concerns, and provide information and recommendations
- Engage in business development activities including authoring parts of proposals
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Strong problem-solving, communication, and organizational skills
- Strong understanding of basic data collection and analytic methods
- At least 4 years’ experience in positions of increasing responsibility in survey, research or related field.
- Experience programming in SAS, SPSS, STATA, R, or other statistical software
- Technical/report writing experience preferred.
- Some experience in client communications and relationship management.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office software; knowledge of analysis packages, computing platforms, data processing procedures, and data file construction as appropriate
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.