This position is responsible for fulfilling formatting document requests for the desktop publishing area. Critically, the desktop publishing role is responsible for complying with the Section 508 law which requires Federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology accessible to people with disabilities. The position requires familiarity with Section 508 and experience remediating documents to meet WCAG 2.1 and HHS standards. This includes PDF, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel remediation. Experience working with Commonlook PDF remediation software preferred. Additional activities include design, layout, formatting, and production of federal government reports, research briefs, questionnaires, contract proposals, grant applications, conference posters, marketing brochures, awards and certificates, and other items. The desktop publisher demonstrates equal facility in the production of documents intended for hardcopy and electronic presentation. Such work requires adhering to federal and internal compliance standards and guidelines and meeting client and internal deadlines. This position may have responsibilities across multiple, concurrent proposal projects, with shifting priorities and urgent requirements. Also performs document editing and proofreading functions to validate proposal production compliance against customer proposal preparation instructions.
NORC recognizes that talented and skilled researchers live throughout the U.S. and actively supports remote work arrangements.
As a condition of employment, all NORC employees and contractors – including those working remotely – must be fully vaccinated (as defined by current CDC guidance) against COVID-19.
|DEPARTMENT: OFFICE OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
The Office of Business Development (OBD) identifies and disseminates key information regarding prospective clients and business opportunities. In addition, OBD staff support proposal preparation, maintain a proposal database, and coordinate proposal process improvements across all departments. Within OBD, the Desktop Publishing team designs and produces proposals as well as a variety of other print and digital collateral.
- Format and remediate text to ensure Section 508 compliance for posting on government websites
- Work closely with the assigned research or Communications staff and DTP Coordinator to gather proposal response, format and compliance requirements
- Develop, modify, and maintain document and presentation styles and templates using specific software packages
- Work closely with authors to incorporate graphics or other visual representations of material into document template(s)
- Manage the document, text, tables and graphics flow during the document production process
- Perform or assist in final document assembly and production
- Understand and follow established company proposal and document development processes
- Establish and maintain document version control for all proposal artifacts
- Prepare presentations to support business development and marketing initiatives
- Integrate regulatory, customer, and market information into effective business strategies and plans
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma is required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2 years of experience in proposal/document production/desktop publishing is required
- Extensive knowledge of Section 508 laws and experience creating 508 compliant documents
- Experience working with CommonLook PDF for document remediation preferred
- Exceptional graphic and visual design and page layout skills including color theory, visual hierarchy and overall best practices
- A strong understanding of the proposal/publication process, document formatting and assembly, printing and production, and desktop publishing
- Desktop publishing, organizational, attention to detail, strong page layout skills and ability to take creative direction, interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and simultaneously handle a variety of projects and assignments with different team leaders in a professional manner
- Ability to display a task-oriented outlook
- Ability to accomplish tasks both collaboratively and autonomously
- Ability to create, modify, and apply proposal templates
- Ability to effectively interact with Project Managers, Task Leaders, and Senior Management
- Ability to think clearly with strategic capacity to sift through complex information and influence the organization on the critical few priorities
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite experience including: Excel, Word, Visio, and Access
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat
- Solid understanding of browser and platform capabilities, web design constraints within an MS Windows platform
- HTML programming experience is preferred
- Experience with video editing software a big plus
- Ability to speak and read Spanish is desirable
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.