NORC at the University of Chicago is seeking at Communications Associate, Information Technology, to join the Chicago team.
As a member of the Strategic Communications and External Affairs team, you will sit within the Information Technology (IT) department and play an important role as a "dual citizen" of these two service provider departments within NORC. Working with the IT Strategic Communications Manager, you will be instrumental in all IT communications, including new and updated technology implementations, information security-related notices, and technical incident/downtime messaging. You will also play an important role in web content management.
Deep technical expertise is not required, although broad comfort with technology and willingness to dig in and ask clarifying questions from multiple audience perspectives will be important. Familiarity with plain-language writing for user experience is helpful, as is the ability to spot and rephrase jargon.
As the IT Communications Associate you will be involved in a variety of projects in different IT areas while helping to advance both the department’s goals and the company’s goals. In practical terms, this means you will plan, write, coordinate, implement, and analyze both IT-internal and company-facing IT communications initiatives.
In collaboration with your Communications and IT colleagues, and reporting to the IT Strategic Communications Manager, you'll have the opportunity to develop and implement communications and marketing strategies around new/updated technology offerings, best practices, and training/support resources. You'll also provide day-to-day communications support to senior IT leadership, information security, and training/user support personnel in partnership with technical subject matter experts.
You'll be able to showcase your outstanding verbal and written communications skills, including active listening; your ability to elicit details, simplify, and find key messages from the technology user's perspective; and your skill in applying user-focused communications strategies and tactics to the support the company's awareness, adoption, and consistent use of IT systems and services.
|DEPARTMENT: Strategic Communications and External Affairs, Information Technology
Strategic Communications and External Affairs supports the entire NORC organization with expertise in corporate communications and creative services, external affairs, internal communications, and project-level communications.
NORC's Information Technology program provides technology services to our staff and clients. Given the critical role technology plays in our day-to-day lives, we are committed to providing professional, high-quality solutions in order to further our collective goal of advancing social science research.
- Provide communications support and guidance to IT stakeholders of varying levels and functional areas.
- Ensure all IT communication materials align with NORC’s brand guidelines and are consistent in style, tone, and quality.
- Coordinate IT resource information, including knowledge base documentation and how-to guides, training materials, tips, and other IT-specific resources in partnership with NORC's training and user support teams.
- Develop communications strategies to market the department’s offerings and enhance interactions between staff and IT.
- Draft original content and update existing content in support of IT initiatives; coordinate with content creators and contributors to ensure consistency in style, tone, brand messaging, and quality across all IT-related communications and materials.
- Provide communications coordination and support for IT enterprise-level strategic efforts, including message development and distribution as well as creation and maintenance of supporting materials.
- Work closely with the NORC Information Security team using communications best practices, tools, and channels.
- Collaborate with the HR Communications Associate and NORC's training team to maintain IT-related information in NORC’s new employee orientation materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.