NORC at the University of Chicago is one of the nation’s foremost independent, objective, non-partisan research institutions that has provided critical insights, data, and analysis on the most important topics facing society for over 80 years. As it looks to the future, the organization understands that the power and reach of its digital content will be critical to the organization’s ongoing success by helping to ensure its research informs critical conversations and reaches the decision-makers, communities, and families who can most benefit from our work.
Reporting to the Vice President of Strategic Communications and External Affairs, the Senior Communications Manager, Digital Engagement will lead, design, and create the future of NORC’s digital engagement content, platforms, and processes. The role will develop, execute, manage, and measure the necessary digital strategies, programs, and activities required to support success in three primary areas of focus: 1) NORC’s main website and its affiliated web properties; 2) NORC’s overall social media presence; 3) Digital strategy and delivery consultation to colleagues across NORC as needed. This is a leadership role that will require a high degree of independence as well as cross-functional coordination capacity for working across the organization with many stakeholders, including C-level colleagues. In addition, the role requires both strategic acumen as well as comfort with project management and hands-on tasks, and is responsible for managing digital communications staff, vendors, and partners.
As a condition of employment, all NORC employees and contractors – including those working remotely - must be fully vaccinated (as defined by current CDC guidance) against COVID-19.
|DEPARTMENT: STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS AND EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Strategic Communications and External Affairs supports the entire NORC organization with expertise in corporate communications and creative services, external affairs, internal communications, and project-level communications.
We help promote NORC to the public: we work with members of the press to publicize our research projects and our expertise; we support external events where NORC experts present or speak; we publish the NORC annual report; we maintain the external NORC website, www.norc.org; and we manage NORC’s social media presence on Facebook and Twitter.
The role of Senior Communications Manager, Digital Engagement will:
- Oversee NORC’s organizational websites and affiliated web properties, developing communications plans to ensure that they are up to date, of the highest quality, user-friendly, and optimized for maximum impact and influence.
- Work closely with Communications and IT colleagues to enhance the institution’s overall brand through strategic and on-brand content. Coordinate with external affairs on promoting NORC’s thought leaders and research dissemination strategies.
- Use analytics and data to tune and optimize usage, design, and architecture across NORC’s key platforms. Analytics will be used to set goals for reach, growth, and engagement for the organization and will be measured and shared regularly.
- Lead social media and online market outreach, to develop and grow engaged communities and conversations to build support for and awareness of NORC’s initiatives, experts, and research.
- Work with NORC’s Digital Communications Program Area (PA) to both provide support and to engage PA resources in corporate work as needed.
- Supervise and mentor NORC’s digital communications associate.
- Lead, coach, and mentor colleagues as appropriate on best practices for websites, social media, newsletters, and email marketing by establishing appropriate materials, training, resources, and peer outreach in collaboration with key comms colleagues.
- Provide direct support as needed to research teams who are delivering digital communications services to clients.
- Advise management and research leads on digital publishing and promotion plans to support targeted online outreach and digital engagement best practices to support the dissemination of their work.
- Work with IT and Communications to identify and implement optimized infrastructure and tools for supporting a broad range of digital engagement goals.
- Develop digital partnerships with affiliated organizations, particularly top-tier research organizations, academic institutions, media outlets, and research partners to leverage the reach of others in promoting NORC and its work.
- Champion digital accessibility and its implementation across digital spheres including social media, web, and internal communications.
- Stay abreast of emerging innovations in implementing social media programs and measuring social media impact inclusive of paid, owned, and earned exposure.
- Guide the organization into the future by continually improving its digital ecosystem and reputation as a best-in-class digital leader in creating and promoting engaging digital experiences.
|EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- From a strategic standpoint, the candidate must possess a strong understanding of what makes a powerful narrative and how it is best repeated across audiences leveraging digital platforms, i.e., how to tell a story using words, images, or audio and an understanding of how to create content that engages an audience.
- The candidate should be experienced in identifying and telling stories across digital channels and media outlets and identifying and leveraging platforms and methods for distributing and amplifying messages.
- The ideal candidate should possess an extensive background in digital marketing and/or communications. The successful candidate will be a seasoned professional with demonstrated success holding progressively responsible positions in marketing and communications with a focus on creating compelling brand experiences, messaging, and deep digital engagement.
- Experience with social media and digital ad platforms including but not limited to LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Google Ads.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in related field such as marketing, journalism, communications, or related field.
- 7 years related digital engagement/marketing experience in B2C or B2B or nonprofit brands; previous experience working with a premium positioned brand as well as understanding of tactics that can both build and potentially erode brand trust highly desired.
- The successful candidate will have a high-degree of knowledge and comfort with Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) and Adobe analytics.
- Experience in the research industry or a large non-profit setting is desirable though not required.
- Candidates with diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and non-traditional career pathways are highly valued and strongly encouraged to apply.
- Strategic Communication Planning and Strategic Counsel: Strong experience using data and analytics to develop, execute, and measure the effectiveness of integrated digital communication plans that move key stakeholders from awareness to engagement. Experience providing strategic communication counsel, including ability to listen for understanding, and influencing stakeholders, business leaders, external partners, and vendors.
- Reputation and Brand Management: Demonstrated understanding of reputation and brand management and confidence in recommending, developing, and incorporating strategies that will protect and build the brand’s reputation with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong Communications Skills and Knowledge: Extensive understanding of stakeholders and how to communicate effectively and with influence through written, multimedia, digital, and in-person communications. Expertise in leading-edge digital communication theories, techniques, or technologies.
- Business Acumen: Knowledge of the research industry highly desired, including dissemination and outreach experience related to research content. In-depth and/or breadth of expertise in own communications discipline and broad knowledge of other communications disciplines, including design and editorial, required.
- Critical Thinking and Change Agility: Analytical thinking, problem-solving capabilities, including the ability to help identify the root causes and key obstacles behind issues or needs, consider stakeholder reactions, and offer communication solutions. Effectively support self and others through change, demonstrating flexibility and confidence amid ambiguity and challenge.
- Team Player and Lifelong Learning. NORC is an extremely collaborative and collegial environment, and we value a wide range of inputs and perspectives when developing and implementing ideas. The successful candidate will work effectively with many different people, departments, and leaders. They will also value continual learning and be excited about teaching and learning from others in the organization at all levels.
- Project Management: Proficient in creating and managing work plans to organize projects into tasks, sequencing activities for maximum efficiency, estimating and managing time and budget required to complete tasks. Identify issues and adapt plan as needed while remaining committed to project deadlines and timelines. Experience leading/co-leading project teams.
|WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
|WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.